[pct-l] Bifocal Sunglasses

I know what you mean. Last summer I lost my reading glasses on the
south side of Dick's Pass, must have been when I was switching from
map reading back to sunglasses at the Gilmore Lake junction. I got
lucky and found someone's glasses in Middle Velma Lake the next
morning. Half of their prescription was almost right for me.

I have a pair of sunglasses with a bifocal section at the bottom, but
found they were really uncomfortable when hiking. I get a stiff neck
trying to watch my feet over the bifocal part. I don't use them for
backpacking now - $150 wasted for that purpose. I bought them
originally because I'm a landscape painter, and wanted eye protection
out in the field. I was stumbling a lot on the trail, so I tried an
experiment. I turned them over so the bifocal part was on top. That
actually was more comfortable for walking, and not really much of a
hassle to  adapt to to read a map. Wasn't comfortable for the long
term, but I'll order a pair with the reading section at the top if I
ever lose these.

Rick