[pct-l] Hitching

Greetings,

Hitching is one of my favorite parts of hiking. I have
met fascinating, wonderful people while doing it. When
I got giardia and had been laid up in Bishop for
several days, I decided to hitch to Los Angeles and
stay with family. Very little energy. But I made it to
the highway, bought a big bottle of juice and stuck
out my thumb, thinking, "Gee, it surely would be nice
to get a ride all the way to Santa Monica. Hitching in
LA could be a problem." Shortly after that thought, an
old Chevy stopped near me and a fellow came back and
said, "My wife and I are headed to Santa Monica. Need
a lift?" They took me into LA, bought me a big Mexican
food lunch, gave me their local telephone number and
dropped me at my uncle's place. When I called them the
next day, they invited me to their place for a hike
and dinner. The fellow had dug his own trail into the
Santa Monica mountains, and they had grown most of the
food they served for dinner. Ain't that a good tale!

As for good deeds and questionable (or not)
intentions, good deeds are good. They exist regardless
of motivation. My own intentions and motivations are
so mixed I hardly would be able to untangle them.

Peace,
J J