[pct-l] Safety on the Trail

I know I'm going to sound over-armed but I carry bear pepper spray, a dog
zapper and a .22 pistol.

I primarily use the dog zapper, as dogs are the main porblem we have, but
the pepper spray is more a backup for dogs and bears, but I wouldn't
hesitate to use it on a human, and the pistol is for euthanizing a goat if
necessary. It's buried in the bottom of my pack, broken down, with the
bullets in a separate container.

I've never had the urge to use the .22 on a human, but having heard a lot of
stories about euthanizing goats, I feel it's required equipment, should one
of my buddies need it. I did have to cut the throat of a goat, and it
encouraged me to make the process simpler and more humane.

Pepper spray is my weapon of choice for humans, and yes, I've been sprayed.
I have a friend who is a retired DEA officer and he insists that you need to
be hit once before you have any right to use it. So, I bit the bullet, so to
speak, and went for it.. I wasn't right for about 24 hours.

I've heard that beer neutralizes it, if you pour it on your face, but it
still was pretty ugly. Or maybe, I just couldn't drink the beer fast enough.
:-)

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com