[pct-l] Section attitudes

My first experience through-hiking was the PCT Oregon NOBO last
summer.  At the start I had no idea what a "through-hiker"
was.  After a lengthy illness I weighed 260 pounds and was way, way
out of shape.  I figured something drastic had to happen, so I
planned this hike as a hike, not a section, really.  A friend dropped
the pooch and me off near the border, we walked down to it, back up,
and off we went.  (The pack I carried weighed, empty, 11
pounds.  Shows what I knew.  Right now my pack for this summer's
hike, sleeping bag, tent, pad, and poles weighs 11.5 pounds.  I know,
but it's progress, not perfection.)

With one large exception other hikers were universally
friendly.  Absolutely delightful people.  I met some people I'm proud
to know and with whom I still stay in touch.  The exception was, I
think, because it was a large group.  Near Lava Lake there were about
10 SOBO through-hikers resting just off a road at a campsite.  I
thought there might be water at the site, or nearby.  I walked over
near them, obviously a through-hiker, and they stared.  I asked if
there were water nearby.  A pregnant pause, and one of 'em managed to
say  "the lake".  It not being clear, I asked "Where's
that?"  Noticeable pause.  One of 'em pointed.   Nothing else.  Then,
in all fairness, another one of them offered my hound water.  That was nice,

I can distinctly remember forgetting what they looked like in case we
run across each other again.

I think large groups with time to coalesce tend to become
chauvanistic, wrapped up in themselves, and a bit competitive.  About
any damned thing.  Equipment, boots, their trip, their track,
whatever.  It becomes important to be better than outlanders.

Folks with the time, inclination and resources to "do" the entire PCT
in one stretch are incredibly fortunate.  The reality is that
everyone is doing the very best they can, whether it is walking
around the block or through-hiking.  Some people have limited
resources in terms of time, money, whatever, and do the best they can
with what they have or can devote.

Period.

By the way, the Big Lake Youth Camp was a delightful stop, the best
in Oregon.  After $1, 3 minute showers with unpredictable water, $1
washing machines, $1 dryers, they offered free showers, free washing,
drying AND folding, a free clinic for medical needs and $5.50
all-you-can-eat vegetarian meals which were wonderful.  The staff was
absolutely great.  Stayed over.  I asked where I could stay for a day
if so inclined.  The Director told me I could not stay at the
camp.  I had a momentary "no room at the inn" feeling, and then he
said there were several inlets to the north or south.  I walked 100
yards south and found a spit which was the kind of place for which I backpack.