[pct-l] mosquitos

The original symptoms are like flu that hangs on for a couple of weeks. It
can take up to 2-3 weeks incubation, so you may be well past where you got
it by the time you know something is wrong. A blood test can definitively
diagnose this. I probably got this in Lassen NF or around Tahoe. We were
using the new Picardin mosquito repellent which mosquitos like to drink, it
repelled none of them.

If you are lucky, tylenol for fever and headache and good hydration will get
you through it.

Unfortunately, mine continued on into neurological symptoms about a week
after the original symptoms when I woke up in the morning with a splitting
headache and when I stood up and tried to walk, I had no control over my
left side so pitched directly onto my face and couldn't catch myself. I took
my temperature which was normal when I took it and also normal at the ER but
within two hours it had risen to 102 degrees. This also caused considerable
dehydration, requiring IV fluids.

The headache, and left side paralysis was caused by brain swelling,
according to the ER doc, so they gave me large doses of tylenol for the
headache and swelling and fever.

I went home after they got me stable but it was about a month before I felt
like resuming  daily activities. Some people apparently are not recovering
completely.

If you feel like you have the flu it may be the beginnings of W Nile, so I
would start with anti- inflammatories and monitor your temperature. Flu
doesn't usually result in as high a temp.

There are animal vaccines for it but no human yet. The county where I think
I got it had 590 verified cases this year.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com

--