From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Corky Corcoran
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:44 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Mosquitoes, avoiding (or not)

As I understand it there are three (3) types of mosquitoes.  There is
the type we all know and love who lay their eggs in water.  In some
areas of the world they can be filleted, though their hides are
indigestible.  I think I saw little license plates on some, but it was late.

However, there are two more types.  One of them lays its' eggs on the
ground where it senses the snow will cover them, and they hatch as
the snow melts.

And another type lays eggs on the surface of snow, and they hatch as
the snow melts.

Which explains why they can be around even when there is little or no water.

However, all of 'em I've seen, which isn't many considering how many
there are, will respect DEET.  Not those miserable medium-sized
biting flies around Mt. Hood - Bald Mt. - Lolo Pass in Oregon.  Slow,
stupid and incessant.  There may not be a smart fly, but some of 'em
are fast, anyway.  In the time it took to take a T-shirt off, dip it
in a creek and put it back on I had 17 of 'em on my chest and
back.  These aren't the larger deer flies who chew a chunk out of you.

Dragonflies eat mosquitoes, but not enough.

Factoid - Good news - those ultraviolet "zappers" kill
mosquitoes.   Bad news - they kill the mosquitoes attracted to color,
flowers, which are males.  Kill very, very few females, the ones
attracted to flesh and blood.  Waste of yer mosquito-killing money.

Corky
Poco loco solo sobo hobo lobo