[pct-l] Super Secrets - Hiking Techniques

Consider starting out slowly in the  morning when you hit the trial and
measure your energy across the whole  day.  Let your muscles and  circulation
system warm up as you start to walk.  It may take only 15  minutes to get into your
hiking cruise mode.  Drink some electrolyte and  energy shake with
energy/breakfast bars as you start your morning walk.   Nice.

When I start walking at the  beginning of the day, I usually walk for hours
without stopping or just stopping  momentarily.  I start slow and ramp up to
full power, which for me is about  2 MPH or so.  Of course, I go faster down
hill, but not steep  downhills.  Even with walking poles (GossamerGear.com), I
cannot go as fast as most people on steep  downhills.

By the way, the reason I start at  first light to hike is because of the sun.
 Every moment I am on the trail  in the early morning is a moment of cool
hiking.  I will get enough  heat around 9 A.M. and the rest of the day until
around 5 P.M. My favorite times  to hike are 6 - 8 A.M. and 5 - 7 P.M. Everyone is
different, but those are  mine.  Of course, I hike at night too when there is
a full moon or I want  to like above treeline.

I remember hiking out of South Lake  up to Bishop Pass one day.  There was a
group of young men just  ahead of me out of the parking lot.  They took off
like jack rabbits and  were talking and all excited.  I thought to myself,
either they  are very strong hikers or greenhorns.  About an hour later here comes
the  old man (me) sauntering up the trail, while they were all laid out
resting with  their tongues hanging out.  They gave me a strange look as I slowly
passed  by.

On a PCT hike out of the April  Kickoff at Lake Morena last year I was being
passed as usual by young and old  alike on the upward trail.  I was sauntering
along.  Some hikers  were actually asking me if I needed any help and did I
need my pack  carried.  I guess I look pretty pathetic out there.  Come to
think of  it, I am pathetic on the trail.  I said no thanks and slowly headed
upwards.

Eventually, I arrive at a stream  and a great lunch break spot.  Here are
some of the hikers who hours  earlier wanted to help me just packing up to hit
the trail again.  They had  a surprised look on their faces to see me.  I said
hello as I slowly passed  them.  I eat on the trail as I go.  I snack all day
as I walk.   Yes, I am pathetic, but I am tenacious too.

On the hike to the ALDHA-West  Gathering last fall we were camped at Dicks
Lake just below Dicks Pass in the  Lake Tahoe area.  I left camp early in the
morning before the other hikers,  which is my technique to start at first light
and eat breakfast as I walk.

Later that evening at our cabins  after the hike was over, one of the hikers
said to me that they all thought I  had bailed out on a side trail just above
Dicks Lake.  This was because of  how slow I go and how hard it is on me.  In
fact, one hiker took my  reserved cabin thinking there was no way I would be
coming in that evening from  the hike.  Surprise.  Yes, it is true, I was a
puddle  of backpacking biology laying on the ground at the Echo Lake parking lot
as  it turned dark at the end of a 15 mile day.........but I got up.

The point in all this is don't let  the speed and strength of others
determine your hike.  You know what you  can do if you carefully measure over a hiking
day your strength, will,  grit, and experience.

Just blend in safety and enjoyment  too.  Those are the two most important
things in  backpacking.  Gear weight affects enjoyment.  Notice I did not  say
LIGHT weight.  But that is another discussion.

Another Rambling Post By Your  Hiking  Buddy, Switchback
Trail Saunterer & Food  Muncher