[pct-l] OT: Any experience with Henry Shires Cloudburst insnowstorm? revised

Ralph wrote:

I forgot to mention that I have the beak and bathtub floor options in
the tarptent, so it can be closed off to most of the weather.

I don't own a Shires tarptent (I built my own), so I'm not familiar with
how well they can be closed off, but keep in mind that snow is a lot
different than rain.  When rain hits the ground, it more or less stays
there.  When snow hit the ground, it can get blown around horizontally
and can get into all sorts of places it ought not to be.

I guess the big risk is that snow would blow inside, cover your sleeping
bag and gear, and then melt with your body heat and soak everything.
You can probably make it work, especially if you're set up with bivy
sack or some other second line of defense and if you are confident about
the weather you're going to have.

I'd still choose a proper four-season tent for extended winter camping
or when I couldn't absolutely rely on the weather forecast.  I would
*not* want to be caught in a tarptent by an unexpected winter storm.

I guess the bottom line is try it out and let us know how it works!  :-)

Eric