[pct-l] Going hi-tech...Pocketmail Questions

  Hi gang,
  I'm considering going a little more hi-tech during this year's thru-hike attempt. In 2002, I shunned the digital age and didn't carry so much as a timepiece, but this time around I'm hoping to carry a pocketmail device. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about the unit and its service plans. I've been to their website, but would like to know the following from someone with experience:

  Is (was) it worth its weight?
  How much actual writing might it take before its (the fancier model) memory is full?
  How is (was) its battery life?
  How did you protect the device en route?
  Do (did) they work with most phones?
  How did you transfer the information to trailjournals.com if indeed you did so?

  Thanks! My apologies for the plethora of questions...

  -Chuckie