[pct-l] Re: Binoculars

Denise from Louisiana, comment ca va-You are right, 8x40 binoculars are
preferable to 8x20 binoculars in low light situations.  I have a pair of  8x40
binoculars and they are great for dawn and dusk use, but they are  unfortunately,
too bulky and heavy for overnight  backpacking applications.  A good 8x40
binocular, like the Eagles you  mentioned, weights about 24 oz as opposed to 8 oz
for the 8x20 Zeiss Victory  binoculars I mentioned.  Some lightweight and
most ultralight backpackers  would even consider 8 oz too heavy for binoculars.
The original poster was  asking about binoculars to take on long extended
backpacking trips and I think a  24 oz binocular is just too heavy for that.  The
Eagles you mentioned are  nice binoculars though.

John Coyle