[pct-l] Health insurance recommendations NW

On Jan 31, 2006, at 4:50 PM, Shutterbug steiner wrote:
> Since, I assume you are  hiking the PCT I would assume that you
> would want would to find a carrier whose network is covered in WA,
> OR, and CA.  After going to their site not only are they not
> marketed in these states but they do not have any network
> providers.  Traditionally an "out of network" costs are humongous
> compared to "in network" costs.

If you are going to do a short term plan just to cover your hiking
time then your point is well taken.  If you are looking for a plan
to cover you in general and not just for the hike then I think it
is more important to get a plan that works for you at 'home'.

When I purchased my policy, Golden Rule had provider networks in
the PCT states, and I still have access to them as an existing customer.

I think a good independent insurance agent can help sort through
all the options.