[pct-l] Health insurance recommendations NW

Since, I assume you are  hiking the PCT I would assume that you would want would to find a carrier whose network is covered in WA, OR, and CA.  After going to their site not only are they not marketed in these states but they do not have any network providers.  Traditionally an "out of network" costs are humongous compared to "in network" costs.

  SB

gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:

On Jan 29, 2006, at 2:01 PM, Matt Church wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for short term health insurance?

I use a high-deductible plan from Golden Rule: http://
www.goldenrule.com/
I picked them for a few reasons. My doctor was in their network, their
policies have a $3 million lifetime coverage (I found that many plans
are only $1 million). They had a reasonable prescription rider to help
cover the costs of expensive medicines and the policy is valid even if
you end up working for an employer that provides health insurance.
You'll loose eligibility in some plans if you take up employment that
offers health insurance.

Personally I like the portability of having my own private insurance.
Most employers will allow you to negotiate a slightly higher salary
if you won't be using their health insurance. There are tax
ramifications
to this though.

I think it is worth having a high-deductible plan than going without
any health insurance. Generally you can find ways to pay for a few
unexpected ER visits or doctor visits but finding ways to pay for
an extended hospital stay or a chronic illness when you don't have
insurance can be a nightmare.

You might consider using a local independent insurance agent to help
you find a health plan. They can help you sort through the variety
of plans and companies in your area and they get payed by the insurance
company so you won't incur any extra costs in dealing with them.

Gary Wright (Radar)