[pct-l] Highsierracrampons?

  Just some of my input...I left KM last year on June 22nd.  I carried crampons from KM to Sonora Pass.  I used them once going up Mather Pass because we got to it too late in the day to go up it and over it and we learned from Forester that we don't like trying to find a place to camp in a snow field when it's dark out.  We decided to use our crampons to get over Mather the next morning so we left at 5:30 am and walked up with no problems.  I had the Kahtoola's (spelling?) KTS  I think.  I also had an ice axe that I used on Whitney and on the snow chute on Forester.  The people I was hiking with didn't have ice axe's and they were fine.  You could argue that I am too cautious, after all I had a bear canister as well, but I felt comfortable with my gear and I made it to Canada so it obviously worked for me.

  I would have them available at KM especially if you are planning on earlier season hiking.  If you don't have them before the trip, maybe have the info for where you would buy them and order them from Tehachapi/Mojave if it looks like you might/will need them.  Unfortunately that's all the advice I can give.  Just do what will make you feel comfortable.
  NITRO

Yahoo! Photos