[pct-l] Single Wall Tents

I had an Early Winters Gortex tent which lasted for
over twenty-five years. It was in many downpours and
never leaked or became saturated. I never had
condensation problems, either. The only reason I had
to "retire" the tent was that the seams began to leak,
and the old, cracked, brittle seam sealer blocks the
possiblity of resealing.  BTW, I occasionally see
(last summer near Palisades) one of these tents still
in use!
  Shortly after these tents were made, California
"banned" them; tents sold in  California had to be
"flameproof". Without the huge California Market
Winters stopped selling these tents.
I would like a new, very light tent. Single wall is
appealing for simplicity & ease of set up. I keep
hearing that EPIC is great in a light rain, but after
several hours gets soaked. I've been in storms in the
Sierra that lasted for three to five days. This would
be the main time one needs a tent, so I don't see that
a tent that soaks through is very useful.
I'd like to hear from more people who have used single
wall tents. Thanks.