[pct-l] Shires? Moak? Frankle? Nextec Epic Vs. Endurance

Joseph,

>> Just wondering about the materials Pertex Endurance fabric and Nextec
Epic... <<

>> Has anyone used these yet?

I've used an Epic shelled down sleeping bag for over 5 years and wouldn't
buy another bag that didn't have a similar shell.

>> Are they hype or are they actually waterproof and breathable?

No it's not all hype, though they are not a panacea either. My feelings are
that you need to view these materials as 21st century versions of canvas.
Anyone who's used the old canvas or silk tents knows they weren't
waterproof. Still they were the only materials available for centuries
before the invention of Nylon.

Both of these materials worked because tent designers allowed plenty of
interior space to move around in without having to contact the canopy.

Small backpacking tents made from these types of materials will require a
lot of discipline to use effectively. Kind of like the old canvas pup tents
of my youth. If you can keep away from the walls and keep your gear
protected from water they'll work ok.

>> Any reason Epic would be a bad choice for the Tarptent since it is
supposed to be breathable?

They are breathable, but moisture transfer depends significantly on the
temperature differential between the inside and outside of the tent. The
greater the differential the better the moisture transfer. In most three
season camping the differential isn't that significant. As a result
condensation still forms on the inner walls.

>> Too heavy?

Depending upon the fabric and how much is needed they may add 3 to 7 ounces
to the overall weight. The biggest factor is the significantly higher fabric
cost, as that could easily add $100 or more to the price of the tent.

Ron