[pct-l] re: Binoculars

I puzzled the same question.  I opted for a monocular instead.  Mine is a
Brunton Macroscope:

<http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=282>

It's hefty at 11.3 ounces (320 g), but the 7 X 40 optics rival much heavier
full-sized binoculars, and it allows focus as close as 18 inches.  That
opens a whole new trailside world to enjoy!   Other monoculars are lighter.
The best Macroscope price I found was at:

<http://www.binoculars.com/categories/Monoculars.html>

For me, the Macroscope works best by viewing with both eyes open.  The
twisting eye relief adustment allows me to switch quickly for use with or
without my glasses, which are equipped with a neck cord, tied on the ends
with scaffold knots.  I secure the Macroscope itself around my neck with
light cord tied extremely tightly with an Adjustable Grapevine Loop.  For
those who haven't received the Adjustable Loops kit yet, please send a
regular self-addressed envelope with $0.52 postage attached to:

Doodad
P.O. Box 3002
Bellingham, WA  98227-3002

The case supplied with the Macroscope isn't adequate for a thru-hike.  After
some long searching, I found a padded camera lens case for it, and by asking
a local cobbler to sew the bottom of a velcro fastener strap shut very low
on the side of the case, it fits snugly and securely on my backpack
waist-belt.

I haven't chosen a camera yet, but it will have to be a lot smaller and
lighter than the Macroscope.

Doodad
PCT Northbound 2006