[pct-l] Shires? Moak? Frankle? Nextec Epic Vs. Endurance

I have used clothing and used shelters made with Epic. BTW: Epic comes in a
number of weights.  Personally, I wouldn't use EPIC in a shelter that was to
provide protection when an extended rain was likely.  It will wet out.  In
clothing weight I found I was getting soaked after around 1 hour in a
moderate hard rain storm.  In a shelter, I would expect full protections for
several hours. On a trip last year a friend was using a BD epic tent.  After
several  hours of rain he started to get wet, and had small pools by the
next morning after something like 10 hours of solid rain.  While I had some
condensation drip on me, I was significantly drier under my gossimar gear
spinnshelter in a locked down pitch.

On the other hand, when not expecting extended rain (say the sierras during
the summer, or winter camping in snow) I think EPIC would be pretty nice.  I
would much prefer eVENT (best material for a single wall shelter I have
seen)... but there are serious licensing, cost, and availibility issues
which makes it unlikely.

--Mark