[pct-l] Re: Binoculars

In my opinion the best lightweight binoculars suitable for hiking are  from
the German company Zeiss, although they are made in Hungary.  They are  the
Zeiss Victory 8x20.  They are waterproof, light, compact, and amazingly  sharp
and clear for such small binoculars.  I don't own them, but I  have tried them
out in a local store and was very impressed.   Unfortunately quality optics
don't come cheap and they cost $350-$400, which is  the main reason I don't own
them.  If you Google Zeiss Victory 8x20  binoculars, you will see what I mean.
Some people carry monoculars to save  weight, but I prefer regular binoculars
and am willing to pay the weight  penalty.

I always carry binoculars when I hike because I like looking at birds  and
wildlife.  Until I can justify spending $400 for the Zeiss binoculars I  will
make do with my Pentax 8x21 UCF compact binos, which are not bad for the  money,
which is about $100, or at least that's what I paid for them about 8  years
ago.

Interestingly enough, I have tried the lightweight German Steiner  binoculars
and wasn't impressed with them.

Good Luck!

John Coyle