[pct-l] Sewing Silnylon

Mike wrote:

I have a silnylon pack cover that needs to be "brought-in" to better fit
my pack. I have access to a simple sewing machine, though I've never
used one before.
Are there any seams which are better suited for silnylon? Thread?

Wearing a pair of latex examination gloves enables gripping the very slick
material.  I've found it much easier to sew silnylon by first gluing pieces
together along intended seams with silicone caulking.  I've used a regular
builder's caulking gun with a large tube of silicone.  Technique has been to
lay down a small bead, wipe a finger along the bead to spread it flat, then
place the two silnylon pieces together.  The caulking needs several hours to
cure so it doesn't adhere to thread, I've generally given it overnight.
Gluing definitely makes the sewing easier, and although it's OK for home
projects, some planning and space would be required to use it in a
production setting.  Adjusting thread tension after pieces are glued takes a
lot of trial and error.  I've left bunches of thread loops in place, but
seams have held well.

geezer

Eric