[pct-l] Dog Tags and Why I Hike

  Not everyone can serve, nor should everyone feel they need to. The most precious freedoms we have are the right to say NO! and to demand that social authority of all kinds be held publicly accountable. You did not abandon your country nor fail to do your part.

  Chance

Wayne Kraft <wayneskraft@comcast.net> wrote: Quite unexpectedly the list's discussion of dog tags and military
experiences has caused me a bit of a personal epiphany.  I have never
served in the military and during the Vietnam War, when I was of an
age to do it, I didn't volunteer.  In fact, I was pretty vocal in my
opposition to that war.  At first I applied for a student deferment.
Later, when the draft lottery was implemented, I drew a number so
high I was guaranteed never to be drafted.  I was blind in one eye
and, although I didn't know it yet, already beginning to lose my
hearing.  Had I volunteered, I don't know if I would have been taken
and, if taken, if I would have been thrown into combat.  I was about
as far from fighting that war as you could get.

Since then I've discovered a lot of what I "knew" at 20 was just
plain wrong.  I let others fight for me and I abandoned them when
they needed me most.  If this was because I believed lies that were
told to me, then I am at fault for being so gullible.  Although it
was not something I spent a lot of time thinking about, over the
years I found myself trying to make up for this personal failing.  I
picked hard tasks and set audacious goals.  Law school.  A high
pressure career.  Running marathons. Cooking up outlandish
challenges.  To some degree, I've volunteered for all these things
because I didn't step up when it really counted.

When I told my dad one day that I wanted to hike the Pacific Crest
Trail from Mexico to Canada some day, he asked me "Son, why don't you
set some easier goals?''   I deflected the question with some
humorous remark I no longer recall.  I wonder what he would have said
if I had responded, "Because I didn't go, dad.  Because I didn't
go."  If I ever I do get to hike this trail, I guess I'll be
motivated in some way by all of you who did go and to whom I am
forever and irrevocably indebted.

So, if they find my mangled corpse some day and someone kneels down
to read my dog tags.  And someone says to him, "Well, who is he?"
And the man with my dog tags responds, "Well, I don't know who this
is, but he walked from Mexico to Canada."  Well, if that were to
happen, I guess it would be OK with me.

Wayne Kraft