[pct-l] Ice Axe Standards

I know that the only time I used the ice ax starting in Manning last
summer before sending it home at Stehekin was on a snowpatch just north
of Cutthroat Pass.  I did the plant, kick a step, step, get firm, plant
the ax, and kick another step thing.  I did this for 150' or so.  I got
cocky on the final step and didn't kick the step well-enough.  All of a
sudden I found myself slipping down the snowbank.  My hand on the ax
head was ripped violently away by the fall.  What caught me up was the
strap connecting my wrist to the ax handle.

I lay there, all stretched out and feeling whalelike, chuckling at
myself.  Seeing rock three feet away I'd gotten careless.  Luckily I'd
not been so careless not to bury the 2' handle within four inches of the
head.

Jeff Olson
martin, SD