[pct-l] Ice Axe Standards

In a message dated 1/25/2006 9:13:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jolson@olc.edu writes:

> [...]
are not only holding onto the ax head, but are "strapped  in?" >>>>>>>>

I've been out of the ice-ax loop since they were 32" long and had wooden
shafts, but... I have a recollection that the book out of which, eschewing
Socrates admonition that "he who teaches himself, teaches a fool, " taught  myself
mountaineering  - Freedom of the Hills - said not to use a strap  because if
you fall and don't have a grip on the ax, you won't get it as you  rocket down
the slopes being mercilessly  flailed by an ice ax.  Of  course, that memory
comes from a time when mountaineers still wore animal  hides.  Someone correct
me, please.

"No Way Ray"  Echols