[pct-l] Ice Axe Standards

When we went through (early season, high snow), there were very few
times when the snow was so soft that you couldn't plant the shaft of
your axe if you wanted to - the days are HOT. A crust formed at night,
but you could usually plant through it if you had to. Even the crust
only lasted  few hours anyway, so it wasn't too bad most of the time.

My take, for what it's worth, is that the axe is good enough for
thru-hikers that aren't going to have a successful self-arrest in all
likelihood anyway. I figure our only hope is in self-belay (the shaft
method).

-patch