[pct-l] Ice Axe Standards

I'm curious.  Isn't how most thru-hikers use their ice ax the bury the
shaft up to the ax part, and take a step.  Then, while very secure in
footing, move the ax and bury it to the hilt again, and then step and
kick a secure foothold?  Isn't the wrist strap to ensure that if you do
slip and fall, that you are not only holding onto the ax head, but are
"strapped in?"

I know that while in Washington in mid-June this year the only call for
an ice ax was to be used in this manner.  Is there something I'm missing
here?  Is it any different  on the passes in the Sierra in June?  Isn't
it "Plant and kick a foothold, plant, and kick a foothold???

Jeff Olson
Martin, SD