From: "Ronald Moak" <rmoak@sixmoondesigns.com>
To: "'Mike Saenz'"
<msaenz@mve-architects.com>,<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Sewing Silnylon
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:07:01 -0800

Mike,

 >>I once heard that sewing silnylon requires special skills and equipment?
Is this true? <<

No, just lot's of patience and a bit of practice.

 >>I have a silnylon pack cover that needs to be "brought-in" to better fit
my pack. I have access to a simple sewing machine, though I've never
used one before. <<

The simpler the machine the better.

Practice on scraps of fabric first. Actually make yourself a few silnylon
stuff sacks. It'll give you some practice and you'll have something to show
for it as well.

 >> Are there any seams which are better suited for silnylon? <<

You can use any seam you'd use on any other fabric. You just need to be more
careful as the fabric is slippery.

 >>Thread? <<

A good all polyester thread like Gutermans. Make sure it's all polyester and
not polyester wrapped around cotton.