[pct-l] Early Departure

I've noticed that an early northbound departure on the PCT is only ever mentioned in the negative sense; "You'll be too cold," they say. "You'll reach the Sierra way too early!"

  In every PCT planning guide out there, the author(s) warns of starting the trail too early. Even in Yogi's handbook, no-one mentions an earlier start when asked what they'd do differently if they hiked the trail all over again.

  But there are a number of ways to "combat" an early start:

  One, slow down and enjoy! While there may be some perilous spots in Southern California by starting a month ahead of the mob, if you know what you're doing and carry/use the correct equipment, it is all completely manageable. Of course, the trick is to know what you're doing! Traversing Fuller Ridge in a blizzard could very well require mountaineering skills! Its very name evokes a big, wide ridge when in fact it's one of the trail's thinner ridges. But it's been done and more than once.

  Two, as someone has already stated, give yourself some leeway; if such skills aren't yet developed or honed, you might just consider going around the high stuff. There are a surprising number of side trails in all the high-mountain areas. The PCT isn't the end-all, be-all of trails (though as we're all aware, it's in the running!)

  Three, consider traveling with another person. The PCT is virtually empty in March and early April and you might not only want someone around for assistance but companionship!

  I'm starting my second thru-hike on March 24th this year, a month prior to when my adventure commenced the last time around. I suspect I'll see some snow early on but I look forward to it! You can be sure, however, that I'll have an ice-axe and a pair of step-in crampons when they're needed. To boot, my progress will be purposefully slower this time around, so I'll emerge in Kennedy Meadows when most the others start to as well. Up until then, I'll have the trail to myself! Not a bad way to live!

  -Chuckie