[pct-l] Trail Shoes

I had a very poor experience with NB   - after hiking section E last March in new NB 807 my feet were killing me.  I had hiked most of the state of Washington the year previous in NB475 with minimal problems.  My first thought was that I was a wimp and just had sore hiking feet ...... but the pain did not go away.  After a week the pain started to subside and I was preparing to go to the KO and hike A&B back to my house.  So I hiked up Snow Creek on a day hike --- my feet once again started to kill me.  I got Xrays to see if it was a stress fracture and that was inconclusive.  I then made an appointment with an athletic podiatrist and took both my shoes in.  He examined me and my shoes and concluded that NB just did not have enough support for my feet.  The soles were too flexible and did not act as a lever like soles were meant to.  Most of what was going on with my feet he explained visually so I am unable to put in to words what was causing my problem - just a lot of rattling of
 my bones that a solid sole would help..  He did not dismiss all trail running shoes  - he just encouraged me to get shoes with  more solid soles.  With just a week to spare until the KO I went store crazy and ended up purchasing from REI their low cut LOWA.  I hiked section A&B with absolutely no foot pain or blisters and then with the same shoes I hiked the State of Oregon until they fell apart.  My LOWA's are only slightly heavier than the NB but they feel so much nicer.  After returning from my Oregon Trek I had another dilemma my feet had grown nearly a full size so all my shoes needed to be replaced ..... but now that is a different sort of story but REI has a nice return policy.

  Shutterbugg.

Mike Saenz <msaenz@mve-architects.com> wrote:
  As I'm putting together a UL kit, I'm looking for a good replacement for
my hiking boots.
I've been able to drop my base weight from just under 30 pounds (yep- I
wasn't UL by ANY definition!) to just over 13 (woo-hoo!).
So I'm saying adios to my boots for my big mile hikes.

Been hearing a lot of support for the NB 800 series shoes.

Question: I'm looking at the New Balance web site and old 803, 804 & 805
models don't show up. Some of the 800 series are in the "Training"
category. Others are in the "Trail/Off-Road" category. As I won't be
thru-hiking, I'm sure I'll want a shoe that's more trail-worthy than a
"Trainer" shoe. Does anyone have a recommendation for any of the
"Trail/Off-Road" shoes New Balance has?

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e | P l a n n i n g | I n t e r i o r s
MVE MVE Institutional MVP International
w w w . m v e - a r c h i t e c t s . c o m