[pct-l] felis concolur - cougar

Aloha all,

posted this on the yahoo group back when this thread
was just a wee babe.

"Ok now I have to tell my mountain lion story. I was
about to be a freshman in HS. My family was living in
tents on 40 acres about 50 miles northwest of spokane
WA (which I'm pretty sure AIN'T prime ML territory). A
small hill seperated our camp from the stream where we
collected water. I walked over the hill and down to
the stream one day. As I was scooping water into my
hands, I heard a faint sound to my right (upstream). I
looked up and saw a mountain lion raising its head
from the water about 15ft up stream. I froze. I was
too surprised to really be scared, but I was
definitely on edge. We locked eyes for a moment, then
it took a few more laps of water and turned away. It
disappeared back into the thick underbrush without
making a sound. I sat there for a few minutes trying
to hear any trace of its passage. none. It had been
totally unphased by my presence.

They really do have very pretty eyes,

------------Junaid #41PCT2006