[pct-l] Mountain Lions

Does anyone know if Counter Assault bear spray works on cougars/mls?

From: "dsaufley" <dsaufley@sprynet.com>
To: "'Tom Aterno'" <taterno@cox.net>, <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Mountain Lions
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:31:47 -0800

The mountain lion population in So. Cal has been increasing, and a number of
hikers have reported seeing them and their tracks.  I myself have seen one
near North Fork Station, and Jeff has seen two in our area.

Mountain lions are proliferating, and because they are no longer hunted have
become emboldened and have lost their fear of man.  The lions Jeff saw
locally were fearless -- and that is a sign of a problem developing.

I strongly recommend reading "The Beast in the Garden, A Modern Parable of
Man and Nature" by David Barron www.beastinthegarden.com  It is the true
story of how the return of mountain lions, coupled with modern attitudes and
policies, around Boulder, Colorado led to the death of a young runner and
other attacks upon humans and domesticated animals.  I was someone who
thought that the lions were a non-issue, but this book made me much more
aware of the folly of my attitude.  I agree with what one reviewer said:

"I would suggest that anybody who spends any time outdoors should definitely
read this book.  If you live in the foothills, you should read this book.
If you send your kids off to summer camp, you should read this book.  If you
simply walk the suburban creek-side trails, read this book."

Take the threat of mountain lions as seriously as you take that of
rattlesnakes or bears.  They ARE out there, they ARE becoming bolder, and
they CAN and HAVE attacked. Being aware of what's in the environment you're
traveling through is as important as what kind of gear you're using --
probably more important.

L-Rod