[pct-l] mountain lions and bears

We did a short ski-in overnight camp with boy scouts on the PCT near
Onyx summit, and tent camped in deep snow.  In the morning our tents
were surrounded by large mountain lion tracks.
At Pinto Lake in Sequoia I definitely got the feeling that my llamas
were being stalked--a black bear hung out near our camp in plain sight
for a good half hour one night while I shouted and threw rocks.  Since a
bear had eaten a llama on Bubbs  Creek a few days earlier I was very
spooked.  The same bear came back and hung around a while a few hours
later.  Since then I have carried a couple wrist rocket slingshots in
bear country.  It's one of the ups and downs of hiking with stock--on
the one hand they are a very good predator alarm system, but on the
other hand the predator sees them as a big food supply.
Marion