[pct-l] re: PCT and jets buzzing by

--- Tortoise <Tortoise73@charter.net> wrote (in
regards to denali rescuees and such):

How much moral and social obligation is there to
rescue someone who has deliberately put themself in a
dangerous situation for pleasure?

-------

What would you call too dangerous?  how much of a
moral and social obligation is there to rescue someone
who was driving to the coast for a day at the beach
and then they got pinned under a fallen tree?  life is
a dangerous business, you may go summit Denali and
then get into a plane crash while flying home, should
we mount a rescue party then?

Bottom line is (and most mountain folk know this): if
help is needed, it is a moral crime not to help.  Now
if the person should be made to pay or be punished in
some way for RECKLESS decisions AFTER the rescue, so
be it.

To be perfectly honest I'm a bit callous when it comes
to death. I think lots of folks do stupid stuff and
die from it and I don't really care.  death of old age
and 'natural causes' aren't troublesome to me.  the
idea of world population growing above 10 billion
doesn't sound great to me either.  However, life is
something to be protected and saved whenever possible
(even if they are an idiot doing something stupid).
Death isn't an enemy, but we should try to avoid it
(w/out doing a cost/life analysis first).

peace-----------Junaid #41PCT2006