[pct-l] Conversation with Billy Goat - very long

For several years, I've wondered about this perennial PCTer called "Billy
Goat" of whom others speak so highly, whom Yogi has called her hero, and
whom friends of mine keep bumping into seemingly everywhere on the trail.
When I first met him, I assumed that the distinctive long beard - now about
10 yrs old - had some relation to the trail name of "Billy Goat".   I mean,
male billy goats have long beards, right?  No, it seems George Woodard, age
67, was called that by hiking buddies 20 years ago while climbing some of
New England's Highest Hundred in NH: "There he goes, climbin' a mountain
just like a billy goat."  A trail name was born.  Well, just who IS Billy
Goat?  Might he have lessons to teach me?
http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/images/Billy_Goat_Glen_Pass.jpg

Again, Dr Bob, has shared with the us a chapter in the life of one of the
true emeritus hikers on the long trails. I met Billy this past summer on the
JMT while hiking up Pinchot Pass. I feel very lucky to have been able to
hike and spend some time with him over the next couple of days while we
hiked south. At Crabtree Mdws we shared some small talk at his camp under a
tree, and I mentioned that he is one of today's trail legends. He humbly
objected, saying he was just a hiker doing what he enjoyed.  Billy may be
the Grandma Moses of our time, showing us how to follow our dreams in a very
simple style.  This photo, by me, is of Billy on Glen Pass looking north,
and, as always, smiling.  Thanks to Bob for sharing this story.