From: Shutterbug steiner
To: pct

Subject: Re: [pct-l] section times
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:42:19 -0800 (PST)

Last year (on a wet year) I hiked section E end of March and found snow in
the Tehachpis - but very passable. I would imagine that section A would be
passable even earlier. Section B would have the San Jacintos that were
treacherous even till the end of May. Wild flowers are very nice in the
deserts (Mojave & Anza Borrego) and I try to coincide my travels during the
peak of the flower season.
The Cascades might be passable in June and July I have heard horror
stories about Mosquitoes picking you up if you looked like you were the
weakest in your group. I hiked both of these in August and had little bug
problems and only rain problems in Washington in 2004.

SB

Kimberly Sorbello wrote:
We are retiring and newly back into backpacking and are interested in
section-hiking the pct. The books we've been able to find deal generally
with thru-hiking timelines, but we would like to hike sections at their
optimum seasons. What is the lowest section's best time; I'm assuming it is
spring, but could someone tell me something more specific re: the earliest
times to hike it in relative pleasure/comfort? Thanks. Also,1if someone
could tell us the optimum time to hike the Tahoe Rim and the John Muir...
Thank you!
Pilgrim