[pct-l] eastern sierra avalanche clinic 2/11-12

For those who venture into the snow:

signup at:
[url]http://www.outdoorsclub.org/Calendar/TripsOfDate2.asp?Region=100&RegionName=California&date=2/11/2006&TripID=10127[/url]
membership is free and painless

 Professional Guide, Kurt Wedberg (Everest, 95) has agreed to lead a
session of his very popular Avalanche Clinic, Level 1 (Used by the Sierra
Club, and various mountaineering clubs). This normally costs $280, but he
is making this available to us for the price of $170!

Here are the trip details:

Level I Avalanche Course  2/11-12  2006

Our avalanche courses are appropriate for all types of winter enthusiasts
who enjoy skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and winter mountaineering.
This course follows the Level I curriculum endorsed by the American
Institute for Avalanche Safety and Research (AIARE) and satisfies
requirements for ski patrollers, mountain guides, and all other outdoor
professionals.
Our Level I course introduces the foundation for snow and terrain
evaluation. We combine lectures, slides, and videos with hands on field
study. The basics of snow crystals, metamorphosis, and how slope angles
and aspects affect the stability of snow are all discussed. Other topics
include how we gather information, analyze weather patterns and published
avalanche forecasts to make informed rule based decisions for trip
planning, route finding, and hazard recognition. We also discuss rescue
techniques including the use of avalanche beacons and probes.

ITINERARY

The group meets at 8 AM at the SMI office 236 N Main St., Bishop,  on the
first day of the course (Sat). Using video, slides, overheads, and looking
at case studies we spend the first morning of the course introducing
concepts related to avalanche forecasting including snow types and
characteristics, creation of mountain snow pack, metamorphism, and rescue
tools. The afternoon is spent out in the field learning rescue operations
and doing some of our first snow pack analysis. We will return to the
classroom after a dinner break to discuss some final concepts and prepare
for our field day the following morning.
The bulk of day 2 is spent in the field putting in to practice the skills
we have learned during the first day as we identify avalanche terrain, and
apply route finding skills, snow travel technique, and overall trip
planning procedures. We also practice digging and analyzing snow pits and
practice rescue procedures.

LEADERSHIP

The course is organized and taught by SMI founder and chief guide Kurt
Wedberg. Kurt is an accredited AIARE course instructor with over 20 years
of in depth backcountry experience in the Sierra, Cascades, Alaska, and
high peaks around the world. He is intimately familiar with backcountry
terrain and avalanche patterns of the Sierra.

PREREQUISITES AND CONDITIONING
Course participants need to be in good physical shape. Most of the course
will take place in the field. Being comfortable with travel on snowshoes,
or backcountry ski equipment is helpful but not required.

No previous experience in avalanche study is required.

TRANSPORTATION AND LODGING
(We will discuss carpools and lodging options, once we have the group set,
about two weeks before the clinic)

COST AND SIGNING UP

$280 per person for the 2-day course.
NOPE! KURT IS GIVING IT TO US FOR $170!!!!

This includes professional guide(s), and all student course materials
including handouts, quick reference rescue guide, case studies, and
binder, and use of Avi Beacons.
==================
I'm hoping that we can impose upon Kurt, for those who get up there friday
nite (I'll be there, myself), to regale us with stories of the the high
mountains, and his experiences there. For those of you who might one day
be interested in Mt. Rainier, Kurt is a senior guide for that mountain,
having summitted over 100 times.

After you have signed up, I'll contact you with the signup form, and
directions on making your payment.

Questions? contact me.  Kurt is guiding Mt. Aconcogua in Argentina, until
two weeks before the clinic.

I will be able to add people off the wait list, as Kurt can accommodate a
larger number, if the need arises.

What members are saying about the Activity

What a great class! I had high expectation and it exceeded that. Thank you
Kurt and his Crew for the great class. Thank you Ken for posting and
organizing.<br> - sung byun

"Wow dude, this is great! Let's go!!" :) Can't wait to go in the
backcountry now, thanks so much Ken for planning this trip! Kurt, You're
da man. I'll be back for more! - Valerie M?ller

Ken - thanks for posting this event. Kurt, Hjordis, Bernd, and Chris were
all fantastic - thank you all for a fun learning experience in a beautiful
setting - I'll be back. ODC - what a great group of people - hope to see
you all again. Maybe on a SMI climb? www.sierramountaineering.com - Wheels

Ken, thanks for putting this together and getting the great price from
Kurt. He and the other instructors were superb. - Brian

This is one of the best ODC activities. Kurt and his staffs are all great.
I wish more of his classes are on the weekend. - Chris Quan
Pictures of last years class at:

[url]http://www.outdoorsclub.org/PastTrip/PastTripDetail.asp?id=6466&leadername=Ken+Murray[/url]