From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Shutterbug
steiner
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 7:17 PM
To: pct
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Hammocks for the PCT?

  After meeting RONI in 2003 I thought that a Hammock might be my solution
AND it was NOT.  I forced my self to sleep in it maybe 14 nights and never
got a good rest   - on my last night of my section hike I gave up and just
plopped on the ground and fell asleep instantly.  I am a light, cold sleeper
who tends to sleep on my side or front  - all of these I learned do not go
well with sleeping in the AIR.  One of the sections that I used the hammock
was in the Mojave desert  and Joshua trees don't hang well.  Make sure you
use a hammcock a LOT before committing to using one the entire trail.  Don't
count on using them every night in alll of the first five desert sections
and in the sierras, NCascades you might be too cold or too high for a good
hang.

  Henessey hammocks are great for naps - but for me I no longer take them
overnight.

  SB

Matt Church <mdchurch@gmail.com> wrote:
  Greetings from Seattle,

My pops and I are planning to head out this summer for a PCT
thru-hike. We're looking at using hammocks with tarps as our
shelter--something we wished we would have done on the AT. Does
anyone have thoughts on this? We wanted to see if the trail would
lend itself to such a means for shelter. Look forward to hearing from
some of you!

Cheers,
Matt