[pct-l] Winter Camping, PCT

Garret,

Sorry I misunderstood you were interested in winter only!

All comments previously mentioned are appropriate regarding tents and
crampons.  During our Winter Clinics, we shoe or ski.  If we must  climb a pass we
do so straight up a safe route chopping and kicking as we  go.  We plan the
passes to do in the morning when the snow is just right to  accomplish this.
Therefore, no crampons or axes.  However, we all use  poles with axe heads, carry
beacons, probe poles, and shovels. Also, no risk  taking of any kind!
Route selection is based on current avalanche pit info, weather conditions
including wind, and the strengths of the party members.

There is no reason to avoid heading into the High Country as long as you  are
wise about your safety decisions.  And don't worry about 5 feet of snow  on
your tent over night (4-season tent, of course!); half the fun of snow  camping
is to be out in the storms!  Just get up once in a while and dig  out the
tent.  If you get feet of new snow, remember, don't travel on any  inclines for a
few days of sun to settle the pack.

More questions?

Mtnned