[pct-l] re: Packs for Women

Try McHale Packs:
<http://www.mchalepacks.com/>

McHale makes a wide variety of packs from light-weight to indestructible
expedition tanks.

After experimenting with lighter-weight packs, I've gone back to a 5-pound
pack system (including these accessories: top bag, two side bags, one shovel
pocket and four water bottle holders).  I've already used it on a six-week
Pacific Northwest Trail trek and many shorter trips.  Mine is the McHale
Critical Mass Alpine I backpack, which is similar to the current model: CM
PCT Sierra Alpine I.  I am going with a medium-weight pack system in order
to take advantage of the patented McHale bypass shoulder harness suspension
system -- wonderfully adjustable on the fly.  The bypass system isn't
available on all McHale packs.  With the bypass system, I can tighten or
loosen three things independently:

-- shoulder strap pressure
-- back pressure
-- differential waist belt pressure with two front belts.

A useful introduction to the McHale backpack system is available as a double
video for $3.50:
<http://www.mchalepacks.com/video/index.htm>

Dan McHale makes no packs for a category like "men" or "women."  He only
makes packs for individuals.  You either visit the Seattle shop or send Dan
very detailed measurements and specifications about fabrics and colors.
I've never heard of Dan's giving a discount for anybody.  He makes only
quality custom-made packs and you pay for that quality.

I'm trying very hard to cut down on my total packed weight, but there are
some critical times when I'll be carrying a lot of weight in water, or food
for stretches longer than a week, or snow gear.  When I don't have to carry
so much in those categories, my McHale will still be comfortable.  I just
know that it will enable me to carry manage those heavy-load sections in a
lot more comfort than a feather-weight backpack (including one of the
lighter-weight McHale models) would allow.

Doodad
PCT NOBO 2006