[pct-l] Pocketmail alternative

Hey everyone,

One thing that is really important for me on my hike is to be able to
communicate with all friends back home and update them on my progress and
let them share in my adventure.

One of the ways I wanted to do this was to create a blog or hiking journal
online. That way I could update everyone without sending out a bunch of
emails or making numerous phone calls (though I will still do both when time
and opportunity allow).

I researched Pocketmail and heard numerous pro's and con's. (pros= small,
fairly inexpensive, runs on AA batteries, --- cons= some people had trouble
with it loosing data, monthly fee, no spell checker, some units broke)

I then thought about perhaps using a Black Berry type device, but decided
against that when I researched the coverage areas and realized that it
wouldn't get a signal *most* of the time. Plus you have to deal with a heavy
charger, etc.

Recently I stumbled across a free blogging service that offers a unique way
to post Audio from any phone, including a pay phone, to a blog. (for those
who don't know a blog is just a web page that allows you to post pictures
and text, like an online journal or diary). All you do is dial a number (the
number is free but it's located in San Francisco, so toll charges would
apply). You can post up to 5 minutes of audio at a time, and once you set up
your page before hand, all you have to do to post audio is call the number.
You can read all about it here: http://www.audioblogger.com/

They also have a free service that allows you to update your blog using text
messaging from any cellular phone. You have to use it at least once before
your hike to set everything up to switch to your blog, but once you do,  you
won't have to log onto a computer again, it will automatically post directly
to your blog from then on. You can read all about it here:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1131

I still don't think I'll carry a cell phone, again, the coverage areas are
such that *most* of the time the device will be dead weight, however, it is
something to consider. Bounce Box perhaps??

anyway, I'm experimenting with these things right now and I'll report back
any interesting findings. Still it looks pretty cool

- Chai Guy