[pct-l] To Crampon or not to Crampon

Everyone's input thus far has been right and good but not very  explanatory.
Let's take the closer, more practical look.

To Crampon or not to Crampon on steep slippery or icy spring snow.
    First of all, you have the choice to avoid  it.  Wait for the ice to
soften by traveling later in
    the morning when you can get a better grip on the  snow.  Snow melts
during the day and
    freezes at night.  Be smart and give it an  hour or so before venturing
out.  Go easy at
    first, testing your traction with each step.

Plan your climbs for midmorning, when the snow isn't icy and not soft  enough
to post-hole.
    Once you get to the top, glissade or butt-slide  straight down on the
softening snow. This
    is a gas, but be ready to self-arrest if you lose  it.  If the snow is
post-holing already and
    you still have a lot of snow ahead, you can either  stop for the day or
seek alternate
    routes either out of the snow onto rock or into the  trees where the snow
is colder.

If you must travel on slippery snow, because of schedule constraints or the
sudden discovery
    of an icy path ahead with no way around it, on the  Crest in the spring
use some form of
    traction improvement on your feet with an uphill  ice axe in your hand.
Whether you use
    screws in your shoes, rope tied around your feet,  instep crampons, 10 or
12-point
    crampons, or simply chop foot holds for each step,  be prepared to do
something to help
    you hang onto the mountain.

I carry an axe and instep crampons and wear deep lugged vibram soles with
pronounced heels for braking.  I can still glissade the steeps and suncups  and
grip ice and rock fine in the morning. My axe is long for use as a rudder,
chopping, plunge-climbing, and balance in the creeks.  The insteps are  small
and light and don't kill me if I inadvertently brush against them when  tied to
my pack.  Since I have these crampons, I do my passes very early in  the
morning when the snow is still hard.  I can move faster without fear of  slipping
or post-holing by doing my miles early in the day.

The efficiency of your progress is based almost entirely on the snow
conditions.  Know how to travel over each condition and you will reach your
destination safely.  Know the snow.  Dig a snow pit once in a while to  see how the
pack is settling.  If there's still corn or granular snow in  there, beware of
possible sluffs caused by your own compression of the pack or  your tracks
creating a trigger fault line on a traverse.

Food for thought.

Mtnned