Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:14:16 +0000
From: Jamie.Riches@thameswater.co.uk
Subject: [pct-l] UKRay turns 60 - messages of pity required
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net

My Dad and I planned to do the PCT in 2000 along with many hikers that
year.  The surprise arrival of my daughter prevented me taking part in the
whole trip but Dad (UKRay) set out off on his own - he'd got himself fit
but backcountry living was not top of his skills list.  By the time I
joined him, at Kennedy Meadows, he'd managed to pick up a Hernia but
persevered for another 500 miles before quitting that year at Tahoe.  He
did return the next year to complete but starting that far north in May
certainly was interesting!  The PCT adventure changed his life and after
completing it in 2001 he returned another year to have a look at the CDT
before settling down to some long distance walking in the UK (I reckon he
fancies repeating the John Muir Trail as that was one of his highlights).

The reason for posting is that I'd like anyone that remembers this
eccentric English Gent to get in touch to be part of a PCT message to him
on his 60th birthday.  He wrote a journal of his trip with the intention of
publishing but no-one was interested in stories of a depraved fool meeting
the strangest and kindest of people along the way - I am sure he would be
very touched to receive best wishes from you folk!!

All the best

Jamie son of UK Ray