[pct-l] Conversation with Squeaky (very long)

The more I read about Squeaky the more impressed I am.

Based on our practical experience I wanted to respond to the last paragraph
of Dr Bob's post:

>S:  "I've kept everything low-key.  The only people that know about it are
>by word of mouth and people who use the internet or trail journals.  I
>didn't do any press releases or anything like that.  I haven't done any
>newspaper interviews.  I haven't wanted anything to interfere with what I
>was doing.  I didn't want to approach sponsors.  I just wanted to go and do
>it.  I didn't want to rely on anyone for anything.  I have no idea what
>response there will be.  When I get home, I might buy myself a Lazy-boy
>(big
>smile).

Squeaky's approach seems very close to what we wanted. No sponsors, no
support on the trail, no publicity. We wanted to show the hiking community
that our hike could be done and to document our plans. If we didn't make it
we hoped the next hikers could look at our planning and fix whatever didn't
work. Fortunately the "did not work" parts were not significant enough to
prevent our completion.

Keeping a low profile has definitely helped Squeaky keep his pace. We also
wanted a low profile but felt the ADT needed the publicity. We consented to
newspaper interviews until we started getting requests every day. We found
that we lost about an hour a day to interviews. It didn't take long to start
declining.

Squeaky, you will not believe the response you are going to get at Springer
and in the few days that follow. I predict your name and picture will be
splattered all around the world. If you like the attention go for all the
interview requests you get. If you don't like the attention - well, you will
still be pestered beyond your wildest dreams.

Good Luck, Squeaky! What a remarkable accomplishment!

Ken
...GottaWalk
www.gottawalk.com