[pct-l] Gravity

OK, let's see if I can put this thought into words.  Gravity doesn't
exactly operate to pull you down hill.  It operates to pull you
toward the center of the earth.  A car rolls down a real hill because
it's contact with the earth prevents it from falling straight down.
If a we refer to a road that follows the curvature of the earth as
"flat" then presumably a car stopped on this road would remain
motionless even with the brake off.  However, if the road is REALLY
flat in absolute terms (that is, it doesn't follow the earth's
curvature, but is level in each direction from the center point)
would not a car roll toward the center from either end of the level
road?  It would seem like the car would be attracted to the point
closest to the center of the earth.  Or would such a road appear to
us to be curved or uphill in both directions?  Is there even a way to
measure or conceptualize absolute level independent of earth's curve?

List physicists, please address this 	question ASAP.  There is a
trail in Portland here called Leif Ericksen Drive (actually it is
kind of an abandoned dirt road) that is about 11 miles long.
Sometimes I run it out and back for 22 miles.  There's about three
miles in the middle that I swear is uphill both directions.  It has
caused me to seriously question my sanity. I need to have an answer
to this before I head back out there.

Wayne Kraft