[pct-l] Tai Chi & the PCT

In a message dated 12/8/2005 9:55:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
calliger@infolane.com writes:
This is great Greg!! My congrats; may I take a page out of your
book please?  I have the same disk problem but it makes my
feet numb!! Go figure...any ideas on that?
At least one day per weekend I stay put flat on the floor or couch (watching
college football or basketball - I'm in heaven now with this season going!)
and just stretch my back over a pillow and do the straight leg lifts to stretch
my calf ligaments.  My son, who is playing HS basketball is taking glutamine
to help him with sore muscles after playing and I have been taking them too to
help me in my lower back.  They are an amino acid OTC that helps with muscle
repair.  I think Brick mentioned them a while back regarding long distance
running.  I have stopped taking all pain meds as I believe they mask the problems
and cause you to use muscles or move in ways that your body would otherwise
tell you that you shouldn't.  I'm trying to power walk at least 3 times a week
or more and eat well, sleep well and keep my stress levels down.  I commute a
long way and sit at a desk all day and so don't get too much activity
typically.  I also traded in my work chair for one that is posturepediacally (sp?)
better and keeps my spine straight while I work.  This has had a significant
noticiable benefit.

This all works for me but may not for you.   Putting together several things,
exercise, food and posture will help.

Greg