[pct-l] Sierra Snow

In light of the recent NOAA discussion, I feel compelled to reveal that in
mid-November I noticed that, in stark contrast to last year, there had been no
significant snowfall in the Sierra.

Stop laughing--there's more: I wondered if this might tell us anything about the
rest of the year. You might be inclined (as I was) to think, "Naw, way too early
to tell--too much can happen in the next six months."

But we'd be wrong. Don't ask how I discovered this, but there is a strong
correlation between snow water content at Tuolumne Meadows (TUM) on Dec 1 and
the day the Upper Tyndal Creek snow sensor (UTY) (near Forester Pass) reads zero.

The average "zero day" at UTY is 12 June. The average snow water content on 1
Dec at TUM is 3.76". An astonishing 80% of the time (over the past 26 years), if
the water content at TUM is less than 3.76", the zero day at UTY is *before* 12
June, and if the water content at TUM is more than 3.76", the zero day at UTY is
*after* 12 June!

It's also somewhat proportional--that is, if the water content is a little less
than 3.76" then the zero day is (generally) a little earlier than 12 June, and
if the water content is a lot less than 3.76", then the zero day is a lot
earlier than 12 June, but this correlation isn't as strong as the simple
earlier/later correlation.

The years the correlation didn't hold, three years the zero day was later than
12 June even though the water content at TUM was less than 3.76", and twice the
zero day was earlier than 12 June even though the water content at TUM was
greater than 3.76".

Now that Dec 1 has come and gone, I can report that the TUM water content as of
1 Dec this year is 1.54" which would indicate that there is a very good chance
(80%) that the UTY zero day will be earlier than average. Judging by past data,
an amount of 1.54" would likely get us a zero day somewhere in the last few days
of May through the first few days of June.

For comparison purposes, in 2004, the UTY zero day was 1 June; in 2003, it was 5
June. Thus, you could expect that this year's hiking experience will be similar
to those of 2003 and 2004.

But of course, there were those three exceptional years :-)

--Steve (Don't need no stinkin' NOAA)