[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 30, Issue 27

Snowshoe Thompson carried mail, medicine, tools, books, even the lead
type and newsprint for the region's first newspaper, back and forth
over the Sierra from Mormon Station (Genoa) Nevada, to Placerville
starting in 1856. His load was regularly near 100 pounds. He did it on
hand carved 25-pound oak "snowshoes" better known as ski's these days.
90 miles, two to four times a month, all winter long. He carried no
shelter, no compass, no map, and rarely stopped for long, eastbound
took him three days, westbound two. He carried a rock once, a funny
blue color, for assay in Sacramento. Turned out to be the silver ore
sample that announced the Comstock Lode discovery. He also lead the
rescue of a miner with frostbitten feet. In all he traveled 400 miles
in ten days, crossing the Sierra Nevada, continuing to Sacramento, and
returning with chloroform. Never complained once in the twenty years he
made the run. Died of appendicitis that turned into pneumonia.
Mo Jo