[pct-l] reporting lost hiker

I was once tried to enact  a missing person report and was referred to the
sherriff in the town where she lived, not where she went missing (they said
this was the only way to get the ball rolling).
 Anyway, I would have to second Donna's advice to inform the PCT list in
case of a missing hiker.  Even though Jon Donovan was never found, I can
attest to the willingness to spring into action of the members of the PCT
hiking community. They are also ultimately some of the best informed people
on probable routes onto and off of the trail and the particulars of the
topography.