From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of yogi
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:11 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Hiking for Charity

To anyone considering hiking for any other cause than
for the simple love of it:

Consider NOT soliciting donations from your fellow hikers.
This has happened to me several times on the trail, and
someone even sent me an email requesting a donation last
year.  I suppose they got my email address from one of
the internet lists.

Fellow hikers Happy Jo (PCT'02) and Freefall (PCT'03)
both raised money while hiking.  Unless you logged on
to their journal sites, you would never have known they
were hiking for charity.  I never heard them mention it
while on the trail.  In my opinion, that's how it should
be done.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

carol bruno <carolwbruno@yahoo.com> wrote:
I would be very interested in hearing the response to this. My son is in
Iraq and I had considered thru-hiking the rest of the trail (currently a
section hiker) for the troops---kind of a 'yellow ribbon' hike that
could raise money for them. But there is a part of me that wants to keep
it just about the hiking---the beauty, the pleasure, and the intangibles
that bless us along the way, and even those things we consider curses
along the way. So, I kinda blew that idea off. I admire the sentiment
but feel very ambivalent.

Good luck to you and I would be the first to contribute, if that is your
determination..

HYOH
Can'tquit