[pct-l] Water Tricks

Jeff wrote

> Monty,
>
> My apologies for always coming back to water caches, however, I am
confused
> by your post.  You note that you carried 1 pint to 1 liter this last year
> with the abnormal rains and run-off.  Did this enable you to go from water
> source to water source safely (including water caches) or did you take the
> approach last year not to use water caches unless it was an emergency.
>
> I will be up-front, my goal is to avoid using water caches, however, I
don't
> care what others do.  I do, however, want to be certain that I am
> understanding others posts correctly so that I can pull appropriate
> information that might be beneficial to my own hike.
>
> Jeff

Hey Jeff

You're not the only one who still seeks clarity on this one.  I question
myself a lot on this one while hiking.

I admire your goal.  That leaves more water in case of a cache shortage.

My hike?  I know most of the water cachers personally including their
reliability, but I don't speak for all of them.  I am a water cacher on
Gate #3 (the most difficult cache to stock physically and far down a
remote, bump bump, road, by far, many miles of driving ) and occasionally
stock other caches.  I just fixed the spring at Barrel Springs eliminating
a need a cache or search for the source there. (That would have been
Rodriguez to Warners (45 miles?) with only caches as water sources.)  I'm
not speaking for them, but even though most cachers I know enthusiasically
say "Take it except to shower", and we get a good feeling about going
through more water at Gate # 3,
More similar to you, I tend to take only small amounts of water from the
caches if any at all. Even less when a supply is low.  I usually figure 10
miles per liter in normal weather and usually have a pint left of that.
(Don't blow my cover!) .

Take no water at all?  I don't deprive trail angels the opportunity of
doing something for others. Also it feels good to be appreciated. (Imagine
if no one ever went to the Sauffley's)  The more water I carry that mile
uphill at gate #3, the better I feel.  We did run out one time,  but there
is a signed, but very difficult, alternative right there. (Three miles each
way including back up that same hill we haul the water).  Only 10 miles
takes you to Barrel Springs.
I guess I'm clearly saying "Take it and don't take it."

There!  My insecurities feel justified and I slipped in a little bragging
too!  Thanks, Jeff.  I needed that, and if you're ever at the CHARLIE JONES
WATER LOUNGE, Gate # 3 in the San Felipe Hills, please HAVE A DRINK ON US!

Warner Springs Monty