[pct-l] yellow blazing

Funny how AT terms have seeped into the overall trail
culture. Heck, I've even heard of people "blue
blazing" on the PCT...when there are no blazes. :)

Anyway, I think the "standard" definition of yellow
blazing is to skip a portion of the trail by hitching.

I must confess, I think I missed .25 ( or maybe even
.50 !)miles total of the PCT. My hitch did not drop me
back off exactly where I orginally exited the trail.
I've been living a lie the past three years. If I was
REALLY hard core, would have crossed back over the
road, THEN started my hike for the morning.  :)
(--tounge firmly planted in cheek here folks!)

A nice part of the western trails culture in general
is the accepted nature of taking alternate routes.
More of what I call the "corridor approach". The CDT
is the best example of this type of approach. Not just
a single trail..but a network of trails (or jeep roads
or cross country routes) that get you from A to B.

I know of very few hikers who did NOT take the
"unofficial" Eagle Creek route outside of Cascade
Locks. What I find interesting is when AT alumni start
talking about "purity"...in a culture that really does
not have this concept.

Of course, when this discussion is all said and done
*MAYBE* 1000 people in the world really know/care what
were are talking about. ;-)

Back to my morning coffee...

Mags

--Thoreau