[pct-l] Super Secrets of Backpacking

FOOTWEAR CARE: Don't forget to use the cedar shoe trees for all of your shoes, especially for hiking footwear.  It is absolutely amazing how this simple act will make your shoes last longer and better -- I figure 3 times longer at least.  Of course, on the trail you will not carry cedar shoe trees, but I am thinking of some very light weight ones to add to my gear list (the ultra lights now have a BIG frown on their faces).  Your feet have thousands of sweat glands and your shoes pick up a lot of moisture.

Light weight hiking shoes can benefit from shoe trees too.  Of course, you should use them in ALL your shoes, including tennis shoes and work shoes.  It is almost like magic how these things work.  If your hiking shoes get wet on the trail, it would be very beneficial to have light shoe trees or stuffing extra socks, gloves, etc. in them at night. Trust me on this one.  I have been using them for years and know they work.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Trail Sumo & AYCE Buffet Nightmare